Sunday, October 25, 2009

Desktop Widgets

Google has finally commandeered the Apple desktop widget idea that I am so fond of. It's called Google Desktop and it's awesome.

There are some great ones, like an animated analog clock, a notepad and a simple checklist of things to do, as well as a desktop search window that directs you immediately to the search homepage. As well, there's a desktop link to your Google calendar and webmail (although I haven't been able to make that one work yet.)

It's an opensource platform, so people can program their own applications (I downloaded a cute app showing today's date in the Gregorian and Hijiri calendars) and the search page is aflood with games, specialized search windows and animated characters.

The only thing I'm sad about is the Twitter application. My productivity is probably higher without it, but there was something so appealing about the idea of seeing people tweet away in real time. Alas, I will need to work unhindered for the time being as I could not convince the app to log me into Twitter.

Anyhow, I've been enjoying it tremendously. Praise Google!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home