Mushroom Soup
For some reason, I've always got dehydrated mushrooms in the kitchen. I found this recipe on 101 Cookbooks and altered it to fit what (else) I had around the house.
First, you soak your 2 ounces of dried porcini mushrooms in two cups of hot water for 15 minutes. I think the soup might be just as good with fresh mushrooms, but you wouldn't have the yummy mushroom "broth" from the soaking.

Chop up two shallots and saute them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil with a half pound of new potatoes (or fingerlings), cut into 1/3 inch pieces. Add 1 tablespoon of a chopped fresh herb like rosemary or sage. Season with salt and cracked black pepper.

Drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Chop them coarsely. After cooking the potatoes for about five minutes, add the mushrooms to the saute pan.

"Deglaze" the pan with about one cup of strained mushroom liquid, transferring the whole lot to a saucepan. I just learned this great new technique for those of us who really, *really* hate mushroom grit. Strain the liquid into a coffee filter, which should render it pure as the driven snow.

Add one cup chicken broth and simmer until the potatoes are done (about ten minutes).


I topped the soup with fresh parsley and shaved parmesan. The recipe recommends roasted chestnuts, which sounded delicious, but labor-intensive. Enjoy!

Serves 1-2.
First, you soak your 2 ounces of dried porcini mushrooms in two cups of hot water for 15 minutes. I think the soup might be just as good with fresh mushrooms, but you wouldn't have the yummy mushroom "broth" from the soaking.

Chop up two shallots and saute them in 2 tablespoons of olive oil with a half pound of new potatoes (or fingerlings), cut into 1/3 inch pieces. Add 1 tablespoon of a chopped fresh herb like rosemary or sage. Season with salt and cracked black pepper.

Drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Chop them coarsely. After cooking the potatoes for about five minutes, add the mushrooms to the saute pan.

"Deglaze" the pan with about one cup of strained mushroom liquid, transferring the whole lot to a saucepan. I just learned this great new technique for those of us who really, *really* hate mushroom grit. Strain the liquid into a coffee filter, which should render it pure as the driven snow.

Add one cup chicken broth and simmer until the potatoes are done (about ten minutes).


I topped the soup with fresh parsley and shaved parmesan. The recipe recommends roasted chestnuts, which sounded delicious, but labor-intensive. Enjoy!

Serves 1-2.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home