Cooking is always better than work.

I made a delicious dinner last night, mostly thanks to Martha. After a rather trying day, I popped over to Pavilions to pick up some filet mignon, which I broiled with asparagus, as E taught me to do. It tastes so nutty and wonderful with the crispy ends. Heavenly.

The steak cooked up nicely, perhaps a little well-er done than I would ordinarily like, but truthfully, I'm a little afraid of the meat from Pavilions. Lowering the bacterial count by whatever means necessary seemed worth the loss in flavor. But to be fair, the filet tasted like the sound of angels singing, so perhaps I should revise my opinion regarding the store.
Along with the steak and asparagus, I made some delectable saffron couscous, with currants, green onions and olives.

After that, I made Maya Angelou's grandmother's caramel cake, with accompanying instructions from my gal Martha.

Unfortunately, I had only two 9-inch cake pans, while the recipe called for two 8-inch pans. What's the difference? thought I. Well, the difference appears in the now-over-long baking time or the too-high temperature, I believe, as the cake turned out oddly chewy. The edges crystallized, which made them yummy, but oddly prominent in the final dessert. Anyhow, if I made it again, I'd make a few changes to the recipe.
Using my cake pans, I'd double the cake recipe. Additionally, this would improve the cake to frosting ratio, which was oddly imbalanced (I threw out half the frosting.)

In Martha's version, she and Maya top the cake with a gorgeous caramel syrup. My syrup did not come in the appropriate consistency and this I blame on the additional water requested by the recipe. Next time I'd reserve the topping, I think, from the additional water, or boil it down again.
It was a delicious breakfast this morning with coffee:

Inspired by Sassy Radish and Monday Night Dinner, I will report my recommended recipe:

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home