Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Dumpling Night

In college on Sunday nights, some friends commandeered Shafer hall's rec room/kitchen area for a fantastic series of Sunday night dinners. Each of us took a turn at cooking. I hadn't cooked much since high school, when I'd make dinner for my parents in lieu of studying, and searching out recipes to suit eight or nine friends' palates was a new adventure. It was so much fun, just the way to start the week happily.

It's been a very long while since I've cooked for my friends. In Boston, S and I would have the occasional dinner party, but with all of the South End's restaurants at hand, we mostly ate out. And since I've moved out to sunny California, land of the farmers' market and local avocado, there's only been one dinner party that I've hosted. (One that A hosted for E chez moi, but that's another story.)

So that's the back story of what I hope will be a series of dumpling nights. I miss cooking, for friends and for myself, and I miss trying new recipes. The first night is coming up: Austrian dessert dumplings.
  1. Pear and Sage Stuffed Chicken Breast
  2. Smashed Potatoes
  3. Green Salad
  4. Topfenknoedel with Stewed Red Plums [via Martha via my Mom -- thanks, Mom!]
I'm liking the idea of beer with this, finishing with a dessert wine, maybe? Will let you know how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home