Sunday, November 05, 2006

Now unionized...

It goes against the grain, but I've recently joined the UAW, which represents teaching assistants and graders in the underworld here. Funny how theory doesn't hold up against a cute union rep with statistics about the next contract negotiation. Another 3% raise next year versus another 0.1% of my wages? Sounds great.

The best part of the meeting (for which I was forced to miss proctoring an exam. Hee.) was the part where the union rep offered this group of nacent economists the opportunity to volunteer with the UAW. He seemed quite taken aback by the wave of audible scoffing that greeted this offer.

Anyhow, if this summer has done nothing else, it has introduced me to the gulf between theories of behavior and the way I actually screw up when given the chance. Human after all, despite my heavenly parents.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home