Monday, September 26, 2005

On the Other Edge of the Continent

Third Street Promenade
Having visited three times, each lovelier than the last, I thought I'd mention how amazing Santa Monica is. Mom and Dad and I spent Labor Day morning there, shopping on the Third Street Promenade for my adorable lamps. We walked through the consumer's paradise, stopping to look at the dinosaur topiaries and for me to be saluted by a slightly grubby pedestrian, who wished me a "Happy Labor Day, Tootsie Roll."

Topiary Fountain

The lamps will be visible in an upcoming post showing pictures of my apartment, mostly for the amusement of BB from MHD.

The next trip I made to Santa Monica was via the Big Blue Bus, that travels all across West LA to converge on the Promenade in a Big Blue Line. I was terrifically impressed by the price of my trip, $0.75 each way, until I learned today that students receive a $0.50 subsidy. So actually, next time, bus fare will be a whopping $0.25. (See all I learned me in math camp this month? Money well spent, parents mine.)

My second and third trips I visited the pier, with its kettle corn and sno cone vendors, merry-go-round and roller coaster. It's a permanent carnival and it is such a happy place. The beach is heavenly as well, with soft warm sand so unlike my hometown's rocky beach. Yesterday I watched the sun get lower and lower as it set over the water, something I'd never seen before, I think. Gorgeous.

Santa Monica

Back in town, a homeless man on a bicycle told me I had nice legs. I love Santa Monica.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home